Saturday, December 28, 2013

Trimble Park July 2013

I had a particularly bad day on Monday, July 1.  A recent hard drive crash of my desk top computer had caused the loss of over two years worth of bookkeeping data.  Even though I back up every time I use Quicken, for some reason the last two years just could not be restored.

I decided to "bite the bullet" and start entering the data from bank statements again.  I had one year restored and we had company so I went downstairs to visit for a few minutes.  While I was away Windows decided to update and shut down my computer and restarted it.  I lost everything.

It was time to get away from the house and the computer.  As I was searching for a place to spend a few days camping I ran across Trimble Park, part of the Orange county Florida, park system.  I discovered it quite by accident but it proved to be a very happy accident.  It is literally right under our noses but yet out of the way.

Trimble Park is located just outside of Mount Dora, Florida but in Orange County.  I had noticed the sign many times on my way to Zellwood, FL, to buy corn.  I had never taken the time to investigate the park and therefore had been missing a shining star right in my own back yard.  It is literally about 2.5 miles (as the crow flies) away from our home.  Driving distance is 6.7 miles.  Close enough for Wayne to work and come to the campsite at night, far enough away and quiet enough to enjoy some time away from the rat race.

Trimble Park is a small, compact campground but all campsite are directly on or very near the water.  The park is sandwiched between Lake Carlton and Lake Beauclair on a peninsula.  There are showers and toilets nearby and a dock for boaters.  There is also a group camping area but it is quite a distance from the facilities with no electric.  Running water is only located near the group campfire where there is a fish cleaning sink and work bench.

I went out early and rented a space (#13) as it gave us the most space and was directly on the lake.  We erected our tent by the water and placed our screened room/kitchen close to the driveway and the gear trailer.  There were a few other campers but none adjacent to us on either side.

We spent several days at Trimble Park and with the exception of a brief encounter with a very nasty park employee we really enjoyed our stay.  It was July in Florida with all the accompaniments:  mosquitoes, gnats, heat, rain, thunderstorms and wildlife.  I am hoping to return this year during cooler weather.

The park closed for several months last year for campsite renovations so I'm anxious to see what improvements have been made.

Enjoy the pictures:

Fire ring beside the lake:

Nature path leading away from the group camp area:


Tent erected beside Lake Beauclair:


Hey!  Smells good.  What's cookin'?


A rain storm moving across the lake:


Wooded area near the playground:


Camper woman hair in stifling humidity:


Boat dock:



1 comment:

  1. Rhonda, I never knew you wrote all these different blog posts. I am just now finding them. I am amazed. I went back and read something you wrote on my earliest (first!) blog post, and it inspired me anew. I hope this gets to you. I have been wondering how things are going and praying for you. Time for a call I guess. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete